About Champion School:
- Designed to provide exposure on digital technology to students and teachers, the #mydigitalmaker Champion Schools prepares Malaysian students with skills of creative thinking and digital innovation that is in line with the direction of the Industrial Revolution 4.0.
- In 2018, 22 national schools have been identified and transformed to epitomize all #mydigitalmaker Movement elements such as:
- Establishment of Digital Maker Hub in school
- Establishment of Digital Maker Clubs
- Selection of Digital Maker Champion Students
- Professional Development for School Leaders & Teachers in Computational Thinking & Computer Science Teaching
- Participation in digital making competition
- Awareness on digital innovation
Objectives of Champion School:
- To cultivate digital innovation in schools
- To create more digital makers & innovators
- To prep students for jobs of the future
Selection Criteria for Champion School:
- National school (primary and secondary school)
- Secondary school that offers Basic Computer Science and Computer Science subjects
- Achieved minimum of 3-star in Smart School Qualification Standards (SSQS) for two consecutive years, in 2016 and 2017
- School leaders and teachers with great leadership, innovative and supportive in promoting digital innovation culture in school
- Schools that are committed to becoming a Digital Maker Hub and able to mentor minimum of 5 nearby schools
- Schools have sustainability plans to maintain a digital innovation culture in schools and have strong support from the industry
The Commitments of Champion School:
Each Champion School will be funded by MDEC in phases based on the school’s progress in executing #mydigitalmaker Champion School framework. Listed below are the expected commitments that will be monitored for each school:
- # of educators trained in CT & CS & # of counsellors trained in digital tech future career
- # of students taking subjects embedded with Computer Science / coding
- # of students participating in digital making activities & competitions
- # of surrounding schools supported & active industry involvement
Framework for Champion Schools :
1. Digital Maker Hub (DMH)
- DMH is a space that enables digital making activities or training for teachers, students, and community
- DMH is equipped with diverse tools and materials to invent and embark on digital-making projects
- Champion school needs to select a classroom to be converted into DMH following guidelines given by MDEC.
2. Digital Maker Clubs (DMC)
- DMC are co-curricular clubs that allow interested students to learn digital making skills during co-curricular hours
- Activities to be conducted in DMC will be based on DMC modules prepared by MDEC
- Champion schools need to select a minimum of 30 students per club to establish DMC as follows :
- Robotic Club
- Computing Club
- Videography & Photography Club
3. Digital Maker Champion Students (Duta Penggerak Digital)
- Selected students will be given the opportunity to learn digital making skills such as coding, robotics as well as design thinking skills to become digital innovators.
- They will be the school’s Change Agents in promoting digital innovation culture in school.
4. Professional Development for School Leaders & Teachers in Computational Thinking & Computer Science Teaching
- To ensure educators’ readiness in producing digital innovator students, teachers will be trained by experts in :
- Computational Thinking (CT) and Computer Science Teaching
- Handling equipment in DMH
- School leaders will be trained and coached by IAB on CT & integrating technology effectively in T&L.
5. Participation in digital making competition
- Students from Champion School will be mentored to participate in digital making competitions to provide exposure and build students’ confidence in becoming a digital innovator.
6. Awareness on digital innovation
- Campaign on digital making activities to be conducted by Digital Maker Champion Student to create the culture of digital innovation in schools.
- School counsellors will also be trained on promoting digital tech career in digital economy such as Data Scientist, Artificial Intelligence Engineer, Crowdfunding Specialist.