About Champion Schools :
20 public schools will be selected and transformed to epitomize all #mydigitalmaker Movement elements such as:
- Establishment of Digital Maker Hub in school
- Establishment of Digital Maker Clubs
- Selection of Digital Maker Champion Students
- Professional Development for School Leaders & Teachers in Computational Thinking & Computer Science Teaching
- Participation in digital making competition
- Awareness on digital innovation
Criteria for Champion Schools :
- Public school (primary and secondary school can apply)
- For secondary school, subject ‘Sains Komputer’ must be offered
- Minimum of 3 star in Smart School Qualification Standards (SSQS) in 2016 & 2017
- School leaders and teachers with great leadership, innovative and supportive in promoting digital innovation culture in school
- Able to mentor minimum of 5 nearby schools
- Provide sustainability plan of this initiative in school and strong support from industry
Framework for Champion Schools :
1. Digital Maker Hub (DMH)
- DMH is a space that enables digital making activities or training for teachers, students, and community
- DMH is equipped with diverse tools and materials to invent and embark on digital-making projects
- Champion school needs to select a classroom to be converted into DMH following guidelines given by MDEC.
2. Digital Maker Clubs (DMC)
- DMC are co-curricular clubs that allow interested students to learn digital making skills during co-curricular hours
- Activities to be conducted in DMC will be based on DMC modules prepared by MDEC
- Champion schools need to select a minimum of 30 students per club to establish DMC as follows :
- Robotic Club
- Computing Club
- Videography & Photography Club
3. Digital Maker Champion Students (Duta Penggerak Digital)
- Selected students will be given the opportunity to learn digital making skills such as coding, robotics as well as design thinking skills to become digital innovators.
- They will be the school’s Change Agents in promoting digital innovation culture in school.
4. Professional Development for School Leaders & Teachers in Computational Thinking & Computer Science Teaching
- To ensure educators’ readiness in producing digital innovator students, teachers will be trained by experts in :
- Computational Thinking (CT) and Computer Science Teaching
- Handling equipment in DMH
- School leaders will be trained and coached by IAB on CT & integrating technology effectively in T&L.
5. Participation in digital making competition
- Students from Champion School will be mentored to participate in digital making competitions to provide exposure and build students’ confidence in becoming a digital innovator.
6. Awareness on digital innovation
- Campaign on digital making activities to be conducted by Digital Maker Champion Student to create the culture of digital innovation in schools.
- School counsellors will also be trained on promoting digital tech career in digital economy such as Data Scientist, Artificial Intelligence Engineer, Crowdfunding Specialist.
Champion Schools Commitment:
Each Champion School will be funded by MDEC in phases based on the school’s progress in executing #mydigitalmaker Champion Schools framework.
Listed below are the expected commitment that will be monitored for each school:
- # of educators trained in CT & CS & # of counsellors trained in digital tech future career
- # of students taking subjects embedded with Computer Science / coding
- # of students participating in digital making activities & competitions
- # of surrounding schools supported & active industry involvement
To apply, complete the proposal and email to firstname.lastname@example.org before 12 March 2018.
If you have any inquiries, contact Fara Husna via Whatsapp at 019-6362260.